“This is about lessons I’ve learned buying bad stuff, buying overhyped stuff, and buying stuff I didn’t really want. My definition of “bad” is stuff that just doesn’t do what I expected it to do. Either it’s not up to the task, it doesn’t hold up well enough to use for the task, or, in a few cases there really is no task for it to do”
He cites six lessons for a more sensible existence:
- Lesson 1: Just Because It Does Something Cool, Doesn’t Mean It Does Something Useful.
- Lesson 2: Don’t Buy First Generation Technology
- Lesson 3: Don’t Be an Early Adopter
- Lesson 4: You Can’t Make a Silk Purse Out of a Sow’s Ear
- Lesson 5: The Non Upgrade
- Lesson 6: The Specialty Tool for the General Photographer
It’s well worth a read.